Monday, July 22, 2013

Steve

Steve Roushar. His name is Czech, and that's where he served his mission. Fun fact number one for the post, and it's only been two sentences. Just think of the other treasures this post will hold. Shall we continue?

Steve is the embodiment of Bolts of Thunder. The incarnation of our principles, if you will. He is actually the perfect blend of every Bolts of Thunder team rider to come before him: the double wrist guards, going to grad school to be a doctor, musical talent, married and has a brand new baby, and skills on a board after not having skated for a couple years. I met Steve at the old teen center's skate park, and he divulged his abridged life story to me in 15 minutes. It was at that moment that I saw everything Bolts of Thunder has ever believed in radiating from his presence. I offered him a 6 month Bolts of Thunder contract on the spot, and he signed it. He's been with us ever since, and in standard Bolts of Thunder fashion, he's leaving in a couple weeks to go to grad school in another part of the country.

Although Steve doesn't have as many tricks as the others with full parts, he was still with us during the entire filming. He didn't just show up for a couple sessions and film his tricks then, but he was there for practically every filming session and got stuff when he wanted to. That's how Steve works, no pushing him around.

Steve's first trick in his part, the blunt shuv it out on the bank to curb is my favorite trick of his. He did it so casually and fast that it seemed like we should all be able to do that trick. But we can't. Only Steve can. Ok, I'll speak for myself, at least, when I say I can't do that trick, but Steve made it look way too easy. I also appreciated his grass ride at the end. Steve was way down for grass rides, and that's something I can deeply appreciate. So thanks, Steve, for getting the grass ride.

In Steve's part is also where you'll find the first subliminal message of the video. It comes in the form of Nick's glaring eyes and very faded words. I'm not going to tell you what it says, but I'll let you try and figure it out. I put that there for two reasons, the first being that Steve specially requested subliminal messages in the video, so I felt it appropriate to put the first in his part. Yes, there are others. I'll let you find them on your own. The second reason I put it there is because Steve didn't actually ride away from that line he did. He landed on his board and fell off. But I wanted to use it, so I just cut it off right when he landed and put in him riding away from a completely different line. That's right, I cheated. and I'm not ashamed to say it either. Because neither Steve, nor Bolts of Thunder, which could be considered synonyms, has to prove anything to anyone. We make our own rules, and we tell you all what's up. That's right. What's up?

I'm going to miss skating with Steve as both he and I are leaving this month to grad schools, but Steve, it was so fun skating and hanging out with you!!! Congratulations on your new girl, and good luck with everything! Bolts of Thunder hall of famer, no questions asked...

The rest of the part is the friends that didn't film full parts for various reasons. I like the song and the way it's edited to the skating, and it's a fun part to watch. If you want a full part, film one. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment: