Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sleepless in Sharon

Ask Dave, and he'll tell you. I'm not sure why Dave knows this so well, either, but he does. Maybe it's because he was the first person I saw after surviving Africa and I unleashed all my near-death encounters on him. But when I travel, I usually have to have a night or two of craziness in order for it to be a normal trip. Like when we went to Paris last October and slept on a bench the first night because we were locked out of our hotel room. But as I write this, dear reader, I am in and out of sleep in the bath tub of a stranger's house in Vermont. He was very good to let me stay at his place (he's the bishop in the town where I am) because my hotel was so nasty that it was making me sick. I'm allergic to animals, and the hotel was covered in animal hair which was making my throat hurt. But what he failed to tell me before offering me his house was that he has a cat and dog that like to call his guest room home, and my allergies have never been this bad. I changed the sheets on the bed after I woke up this morning with a swollen throat, but the clean sheets already have cat hair embedded into their very fibers. I slept for 4 hours tonight then woke up with the worst sore throat I've had in years, and a number of other painful symptoms. After taking some Benadryl and wandering out of my hair-infested room, I stumbled into the bathroom in a drug-induced stupor of thought. Realizing that the bath tub is likely free of most animal hair, probably the most animal hair-less structure in the house, I crawled in it and closed the curtain. And here I lie, with nothing more than my new phone (thanks, Rachel!) and your undivided attention to keep me company. I will be honest in saying that I already feel better after crawling in to sleep in the bath, likely due to its lack of animal hair. But don't worry, it has human hair to comfort me.

So what do I do now? I wait. I wait it out till morning. That's all I've got. if the cat hair's going to play dirty, so am i, by sleeping where one goes to get cleaned. very symbolic. I imagine I'll get in a couple solid rounds of bejeweled blitz and try my hardest not to make any sounds as I readjust my position from time to time. I really don't want him to find me sleeping in his bath tub, that would suck for both of us, so I'll do my best to be quiet. I feel sleep taking over again, I'm out...

I took a picture of myself in the tub as evidence that this is, indeed, my current predicament in life. Till next time.

6 comments: